Cucumber Rolls with Creamy Avocado Spread
2 large English cucumbers, 3 ripe avocados, 1/4 cup capers, 1/2 tsp. sea salt, fresh black pepper, 2 tbsp.. freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine, 1/8 cup fresh dill, chopped fine
- Wash and dry cucumbers
- Use a mandolin to cut thin slices all the way through (lengthwise)
- Keep slicing the sides until you reach the full center (be careful they don’t break)
- In a bowl, mush all the avocado meat and add in all the other ingredients and mix.
- Lay out each cucumber slice and layer a coat of the avocado spread all the way across
- Roll on one side till you reach the end (make sure there is avocado spread at the end without capers to seal the end.
- Dress up with extra parsley and capers
- Keep refrigerated until time to serve
Five Bean Chili
1 cup corn (frozen or fresh), 1 cup chopped sweet onion, (2) 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes, (1) 14.5 oz. can each of cannellini, pinto, black, and light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed, (1) 40.5 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed, (1) 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, 1/4 cup taco seasoning, 1 tsp. chili powder
- Sauté corn and onions in a skillet for 6-10 minutes
- In a large crockpot, combine all ingredients
- Simmer on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours
If you do not have a crockpot combine all ingredients in a large soup pot,
bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low for 45 minutes.
Arrangement made by wow-fruits
Visit them at wow-fruits.com
Simple and delicious…. Mix together 1 cup salsa, 4 smashed avocados, and 2 tbsp. each of lime juice and chopped cilantro.
Sauté a 15 oz. can of drained chickpeas with 2 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tsp. cumin for 2 minutes. Season with low sodium salt, place on a nonstick baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
Sweet Potato Wedges
Peel 4 medium sweet potatoes. Cut lengthwise into chunks about 1/2 inch thick. Lightly coat with olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Season with low sodium salt, if desired, top with low fat sour cream.
Yogurt Fruit Dip and Fruit Skewers
1 and 1/2 cups fat free Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup honey
Cut up your favorite fruit in even squares and place them on skewers. Serve with dip
Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower ‘Wings’
- 1 cup water or soy milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into pieces
- 1 cup buffalo or hot sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or melted vegan margarine
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- Combine water or soy milk, flour, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir until combined
- Coat cauliflower pieces with the flour mixture and place in a shallow baking dish
- Bake for 18 minutes
- Combine buffalo sauce and olive oil or margarine in a small bowl
- Pour the hot sauce mixture over the baked cauliflower and continue baking for an additional 5-8 minutes
- Serve with blue cheese or vegan blue cheese dressing and celery sticks
It’s that time of year again………..Why not enjoy some meatless game day meals? I will try to post a new option every week throughout the football season. Go Pats……..
Portobello Sliders with Caramelized Onions
- 4 ciabatta dinner rolls ( or slider buns), toasted
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms, sliced into thin strips
- Large handful of mixed greens
- 1/2 medium white onion, sliced into rings
1/4 cup white wine, 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, crushed, 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper
1/4 cup vegan (or traditional) mayo, 2-3 garlic cloves crushed, 4-5 basil leaves, minced
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade in shallow dish and submerge Portobello slices completely. Allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil over med. heat, add sliced onions and reduce heat to low.
- Sauté 5-10 minutes until caramelized. Remove from heat set aside.
- Place Portobello’s with marinade into hot sauté pan.
- Turn up heat and bring liquid to a simmer.
- Heat until liquid is reduced and mushrooms are browned and cooked through.
- Mix ingredients for aioli in a small bowl.
- Spread the aioli on the bottom of all four buns. Evenly distribute greens, Portobello, and caramelized onions. Top with other half of bun and serve.
1 tbs. vegetable oil, 2 cups chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper, 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, 2 garlic cloves,minced, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1-1/2 tbsp. chili powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp. dried oregano, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, 2 (16 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained, 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained, 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat
- Add onion, bell peppers and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until tender
- Add sugar and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, simmer 30 minutes