Happy Day before Thanksgiving to everyone. Hope you have a wonderful day filled with family and friends. Below is a tasty, healthy, side dish. Most broccoli dishes for the holidays are full of fat laden cheeses and creams. Enjoy this healthier version.
3 pounds broccoli heads, stems trimmed to length of longest branch. (around 6 medium heads), 3 tbls. canola oil, 2 tsp. minced fresh garlic, 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, 3/4 tsps.. kosher salt, 3/4 cups shelled unsalted pistachios, 1 cup white vinegar, 3/4 cup golden raisins, 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots, 1/2 cup water, 2 tbls. mustard seeds
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place 2 baking sheets in oven as it preheats.
- Bring a large Dutch oven filled with water to a boil. Cut each broccoli head into quarters; cut each quarter in3 wedges. Add broccoli to boiling water; return to a boil, and cook 2 minutes. Drain; plunge into a bowl of ice water. Drain well; pat dry. Combine broccoli, oil ,garlic, pepper and salt in a bowl; toss to coat. Arrange broccoli mixture in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Turn broiler to high ( do not remove pans from oven). Broil 5 minutes until browned in spots, rotating pans and stirring once after 3 minutes.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add pistachios; sauté 4 minutes or until toasted. Cool slightly; coarsely chop.
- Bring vinegar and remaining ingredients to a boil in as small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Cook 2 minutes; drain. Place roasted broccoli on a serving platter, sprinkle with pistachios and raisin mixture.
- Happy Thanksgiving.
I will be back to game day healthy eating after Thanksgiving. I thought a couple of healthier recipes for Thanksgiving Day dinner would be better for the next couple of weeks.
1 yellow onion, finely chopped, 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped, 2 stalks celery, chopped, 1 package mushrooms, roughly chopped, 1 head cauliflower, pulsed in food processor to make pellets, 1 apple, finely chopped, 2 tbls. minced fresh thyme, 2 tbls. minced fresh sage, 1 tsp. salt, 3/4 pound turkey sausage, cooked and chopped or sliced, 1-2 tbls. Smart Balance, 1 egg. beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Coat a large pot with oil spray
- Add onion, pepper, and celery and sauté for 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté another 3 minutes. Add cauliflower, apple, thyme, sage, salt, and sausage. Mix well to combine everything and cook for 3 more minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add Smart balance and mix. Add egg and mix.
- Transfer to baking pan that has been misted with oil spray and bake in oven for 40 minutes until top is brown.
Roasted Vegetable Antipasto
12 medium Brussels sprouts, 4 tsp. EVOO plus 2 tbls. divided, 1 large fennel bulb, halved, cored and cut into 1/4 inch wedges, 12 very small, thin carrots, 1 large beet, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds, 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided, 1 large clove garlic, minced, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. capers, chopped, 1 anchovy fillet, minced (optional)
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven, preheat to 425 degrees F
- Trim and halve Brussels sprout; toss with 1 tsp. oil in a bowl. Spread in a single layer on half of a large baking sheet. Toss fennel in the bowl with another 1 tsp. oil; spread on the other half of the pan.
- Toss carrots in the bowl with another 1 tsp. oil and spread on half of second baking sheet. Toss beet slices with another 1 tsp. oil; spread on the other half of the pan.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Roast the veggies, stirring once halfway through and rotating the baking sheets top to bottom and front to back, until soft and beginning to caramelize, 25 to 30 minutes. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt in a small bowl with the back of a spoon until a paste forms. Add lemon juice, capers and anchovy. Whisk in the remaining 2 tbls. oil; drizzle over the veggies.
- Enjoy at room temperature………
Caprese Avocado Toast
2 ripe avocados, 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper, to taste, 4 slices whole grain bread, toasted, 4 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced and cut into pieces, to fit the bread, 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved, 1/4 cup basil leaves, roughly chopped, balsamic glaze
- Cut avocados in half, remove pit, and scoop the flesh into a small bowl. Add the lemon juice, slat and pepper. Mash the ingredients together.
- Spread evenly onto toasted bread slices. Top with mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
1/4 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs, 1/4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese, 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, 2 tbls. fat free milk, 2-1/2 cups (1/4 inch thick) slices zucchini, cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl, stirring with a whisk
- Place milk in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture
- Place coated slices on a ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray, place rack on a baking sheet
- Bake for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp
My first Grandbaby was born on October 20th at 7:21pm. Congratulations to Matthew and Tracy.
The Monday evening 5:15pm class is now a Cardio/Weights Fusion class. It is from 5:15-6:15 The 6:00pm class is no longer on the schedule .
Quinoa Salad with Asparagus, Peas, Avocados & Lemon Basil Dressing
Dressing: 3 tbls. olive oil, 3 tbls. fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp. honey or agave nectar, 1 clove garlic, minced, 1 tbls. chopped fresh basil, salt and black pepper, to taste
Salad: 2 cups water, 1 cup quinoa, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. olive oil, 1 small bunch asparagus (15 spears), cut into 1 inch pieces, 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, 1 cup frozen peas, 1 avocado, chopped, salt and pepper, to taste, 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Combine the dressing ingredients. Whisk to combine, set aside.
- Add water, quinoa, and salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with fork.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat olive oil over medium heat, add the asparagus and fresh lemon juice. Cook until tender around 5 minutes. Stir in the peas and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Combine quinoa, asparagus, peas, and avocado in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the fresh basil