Tomorrow morning 5:30 am journey cases is cancelled for tomorrow Tuesday February 9th. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Due to weather conditions Midtown will be closing today Monday, February 8th at 4pm. We are sorry for any inconvenience. Stay safe.
Due to snow storm all classes are cancelled today Friday February 5th. Also there will not be any childcare today. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Caviar –(2) 14 ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained, (1) 14 ounce can black bens, rinsed and drained, (1) 14 ounces can corn, drained, 1 1/2 cups chopped Roma tomatoes, (1) medium red, orange or yellow bell pepper, 3/4 cup chopped red onion, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, 1 to 2 jalapenos, ribs removed, seeded and finely chopped, 1 avocado
Italian dressing –1/3 cup olive oil, 3 tbls. red wine vinegar, 2 medium cloves garlic, minced, 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. dried oregano, 1/2 tsp. honey, 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes, freshly ground black pepper
- In a large serving bowl, combine the peas, beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, onion, cilantro and jalapeno.
- Don’t add avocado until ready to serve
- In a cup whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Drizzle the dressing over the serving bowl and toss until well mixed.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper
- Let marinate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with multigrain chips
Happy Day before Thanksgiving to everyone. Hope you have a wonderful day filled with family and friends. Below is a tasty, healthy, side dish. Most broccoli dishes for the holidays are full of fat laden cheeses and creams. Enjoy this healthier version.
3 pounds broccoli heads, stems trimmed to length of longest branch. (around 6 medium heads), 3 tbls. canola oil, 2 tsp. minced fresh garlic, 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, 3/4 tsps.. kosher salt, 3/4 cups shelled unsalted pistachios, 1 cup white vinegar, 3/4 cup golden raisins, 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots, 1/2 cup water, 2 tbls. mustard seeds
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place 2 baking sheets in oven as it preheats.
- Bring a large Dutch oven filled with water to a boil. Cut each broccoli head into quarters; cut each quarter in3 wedges. Add broccoli to boiling water; return to a boil, and cook 2 minutes. Drain; plunge into a bowl of ice water. Drain well; pat dry. Combine broccoli, oil ,garlic, pepper and salt in a bowl; toss to coat. Arrange broccoli mixture in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Turn broiler to high ( do not remove pans from oven). Broil 5 minutes until browned in spots, rotating pans and stirring once after 3 minutes.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add pistachios; sauté 4 minutes or until toasted. Cool slightly; coarsely chop.
- Bring vinegar and remaining ingredients to a boil in as small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Cook 2 minutes; drain. Place roasted broccoli on a serving platter, sprinkle with pistachios and raisin mixture.
- Happy Thanksgiving.
I will be back to game day healthy eating after Thanksgiving. I thought a couple of healthier recipes for Thanksgiving Day dinner would be better for the next couple of weeks.
1 yellow onion, finely chopped, 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped, 2 stalks celery, chopped, 1 package mushrooms, roughly chopped, 1 head cauliflower, pulsed in food processor to make pellets, 1 apple, finely chopped, 2 tbls. minced fresh thyme, 2 tbls. minced fresh sage, 1 tsp. salt, 3/4 pound turkey sausage, cooked and chopped or sliced, 1-2 tbls. Smart Balance, 1 egg. beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Coat a large pot with oil spray
- Add onion, pepper, and celery and sauté for 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté another 3 minutes. Add cauliflower, apple, thyme, sage, salt, and sausage. Mix well to combine everything and cook for 3 more minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add Smart balance and mix. Add egg and mix.
- Transfer to baking pan that has been misted with oil spray and bake in oven for 40 minutes until top is brown.
Roasted Vegetable Antipasto
12 medium Brussels sprouts, 4 tsp. EVOO plus 2 tbls. divided, 1 large fennel bulb, halved, cored and cut into 1/4 inch wedges, 12 very small, thin carrots, 1 large beet, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds, 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided, 1 large clove garlic, minced, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. capers, chopped, 1 anchovy fillet, minced (optional)
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven, preheat to 425 degrees F
- Trim and halve Brussels sprout; toss with 1 tsp. oil in a bowl. Spread in a single layer on half of a large baking sheet. Toss fennel in the bowl with another 1 tsp. oil; spread on the other half of the pan.
- Toss carrots in the bowl with another 1 tsp. oil and spread on half of second baking sheet. Toss beet slices with another 1 tsp. oil; spread on the other half of the pan.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Roast the veggies, stirring once halfway through and rotating the baking sheets top to bottom and front to back, until soft and beginning to caramelize, 25 to 30 minutes. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt in a small bowl with the back of a spoon until a paste forms. Add lemon juice, capers and anchovy. Whisk in the remaining 2 tbls. oil; drizzle over the veggies.
- Enjoy at room temperature………