Enjoy your outdoor activities this summer. Remember when it’s too hot to exercise outdoors Midtown has a comfortable climate controlled gym to welcome you on those days. Also please remember to use your sunscreen every day, especially on those fun filled beach days. Happy summer….
Thank you to the men and women who have given their lives to keep all of us free and safe. Thank you to the men and women who have served, and to those who continue to serve our country. God Bless America.
Eating right does not have to be difficult.
Below are seven steps to get you on your way to healthier eating.
- Eat 5 + servings of vegetables a day
- Eat limited portions of whole grains and cut refined carbs ( white rice, pasta, potatoes, sugar, bread)
- Eat three servings of fruit a day
- Include lean protein at every meal (think fish, beans, eggs and egg whites, lean meat and lean poultry, low fat dairy
- Trade good fat for bad—(bad-saturated fats found in full fat cheese, most red meat, butter, margarine – trans fat found in processed foods that contain hydrogenated oil) (good—fat found in nuts, avocados, olive and canola oil, flax-seeds and fish)
- Portion control – 1/2 plate non-starchy veggies, 1/4 plate lean protein, 1/4 plate complex carb. choice.
- Eating whole foods and reduce highly processed foods, read labels if ingredient list is endless with a lot of names that sound like chemicals, don’t buy the product.
Spring into good nutrition this March with these nutrition tips.
Eat well and stay healthy.
Join Bob on Tuesday mornings at 5:30am and Michael on Thursdays at 5:30am for a Journey class that will kick start your day. 1/2 hour of spin followed by muscle conditioning for 1/2 hour. Must sign up to hold your seat. Free to members. Non-members can join the class for a modest fee. Call for details.
Join Carrie Anne for an hour of Zumba® every Thursday morning at 10:30am.
Caviar –(2) 14 ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained, (1) 14 ounce can black bens, rinsed and drained, (1) 14 ounces can corn, drained, 1 1/2 cups chopped Roma tomatoes, (1) medium red, orange or yellow bell pepper, 3/4 cup chopped red onion, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, 1 to 2 jalapenos, ribs removed, seeded and finely chopped, 1 avocado
Italian dressing –1/3 cup olive oil, 3 tbls. red wine vinegar, 2 medium cloves garlic, minced, 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. dried oregano, 1/2 tsp. honey, 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes, freshly ground black pepper
- In a large serving bowl, combine the peas, beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, onion, cilantro and jalapeno.
- Don’t add avocado until ready to serve
- In a cup whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Drizzle the dressing over the serving bowl and toss until well mixed.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper
- Let marinate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with multigrain chips